This WOTLK Prospect Titanium Calculator is currently in Open Beta testing.
Latest update 12th July 2023.
We are now assuming you will cut blue quality gems before you vendor them and so they are valued at 4.5g (was 3g previously)
Added a toggle option of disenchanting mats, calcs based on 75% of infinite dust, 20% lesser cosmic and 5% small dream shard.
Lowered the chance of getting titanium powder from 75% to 69%
I prospected 1000 Titanium Ore myself to test. Embedded the video.
WOTLK Classic Titanium Ore Prospect Calculator
Please note, these results are a guide rather than a guarantee, prices change and not everything sells!
This calculation is working out the average gold and silver profit (or loss) you can expect per 5 Titanium Ore that you prospect, based on the current prices of the gems you might receive and the cost of the ore itself. It’s also taking into account the 5% fee that the Auction House takes when you sell your items.
The Calculation Itself
Here I am going to cover off the calculation itself. All calculators & tools on this website will have this section to ensure users can check there own results if wanted. If you aren’t mathematically inclined you might want to look away now!
The calculation for
expectedProfit is based on the potential profits from prospecting Titanium Ore. When you prospect Titanium Ore in World of Warcraft, there are a number of different gems you can receive. The calculation is figuring out the value of those potential gems.
- Titanium Ore Price: This is the cost to buy a piece of titanium ore. We multiply this by 100 because the calculator uses smaller units (copper) for calculations.
- Titanium Powder Price: This is how much one titanium powder is worth. We also multiply this by 100 to convert it to copper.
- Gem Prices: The prices for each type of gem (Cardinal Ruby, Ametrine, Eye of Zul, Majestic Zircon, Dreadstone, Scarlet Ruby, King’s Amber) are the worth of each gem. We multiply these by 100 as well.
- Expected Profit Calculation: We take the chance of getting each type of gem or powder (given as a decimal like 0.69 for 69% chance) and multiply it by its price. For example, if there’s a 69% chance to get a Titanium Powder when you prospect 5 Titanium Ores and each powder is worth 20 copper, you’d calculate the value of the powder as 0.69×200.69×20 copper. We do this for every type of gem and powder and add them all up. This gives us the total expected income from prospecting 5 Titanium Ores.
- Cost of Ore: We then subtract the cost of the 5 pieces of titanium ore from our total expected income. If 5 ores cost 100 copper and our expected income was 140 copper, then our expected profit is 140−100=40140−100=40 copper.
- Blue and Green Gem Profit: We calculate the expected profit from getting blue and green gems. For each gem, we multiply the chance of getting that gem by its value. For example, if there’s a 4% chance to get a blue gem worth 4.5 gold (or 45000 copper), we calculate the value as 0.04×45000 copper.
- Advanced Calculations: If you’re using the advanced calculator, we also take into account the chance of getting additional items (Small Dream Shard, Infinite Dust, Lesser Cosmic Essence) and their prices. This works the same way as the gem and powder calculations.
- Final Profit: Finally, we multiply the expected profit by 0.95 to account for the 5% auction house cut (the auction house takes a small percentage of each sale).If our expected profit was 100 copper, we’d expect to actually get 100×0.95=95100×0.95=95 copper after the auction house takes its cut.
- Gold and Silver Conversion: Lastly, we convert the final profit from copper to gold and silver for easier reading. There are 100 copper in 1 silver, and 100 silver in 1 gold.
And that’s it! We display the final profit in gold and silver. If the profit is positive (we’re making money), we display it in green. If it’s negative (we’re losing money), we display it in red.
In the video you might notice I prospect fairly fast. I’m using the add on Faster Loot in combination with the following macro:
/Use Titanium Ore
This macro is bound too Mousewheel Up and Down, so then I’m just scrolling throughout in order to prospect. It goes quickly.
Last part of the video I’m starting to craft rings. I’ve got a calculator incoming specifically for predicting disenchanting results so will be using all my rings in bulk asap to test the calculator.
My Prospecting Results
10 x Cardinal Ruby
12 x Kings Amber
7 x Majestic Zircone
8 x Ametrine
6 x Eye of Zuul
10 x Dreadstone
149 x Titanium Powder
With these results once I added up the value of everything prospected, the results were roughly in line with the above calculator.